Compilations of top 10 key latest updates that you need to know this Thursday morning, 19th February, 2026
Electoral Act 2026: Tinubu defends assent, opposition raises hell
Opposition parties and civil society organisations have condemned President Bola Tinubu’s assent to the Electoral Act 2026 (Amendment), describing the move as a setback to Nigeria’s democratic progress and a legalisation of electoral manipulation ahead of the 2027 general elections.
The Peoples Democratic Party, on Wednesday, alleged that the ruling All Progressives Congress’s fear of losing the upcoming elections drove what is called the rushed approval of the contentious legislation, which the party described as a threat to the country’s democratic process.
President Tinubu signed the Electoral Act 2026 (Amendment) into law around 5pm on Wednesday at the Aso Rock Presidential Villa, Abuja, with senior National Assembly officials in attendance.It came barely 24 hours after the bill was passed by both chambers of the National Assembly.
During the ceremony, Tinubu raised concerns about Nigeria’s current broadband infrastructure and technical capacity to handle real-time electronic transmission of election results, even as he signed the Electoral Act 2026 (Amendment) into law.
ICPC grills El-Rufai after EFCC release
The former governor of Kaduna State, Malam Nasir El-Rufai, was, on Wednesday, released by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.
He was, however, reportedly taken into custody by the operatives of the Independent Corrupt Practices Commission and Other Related Offences Commission.
Sources at the EFCC confirmed to The PUNCH on Wednesday night that the former governor had been released but was shortly taken into custody by operatives of the ICPC.
El-Rufai had arrived at the EFCC headquarters in Abuja around 10 am on Monday for questioning and was held by the commission until Wednesday.
“We have released him today, but he was shortly picked up after he was released by ICPC,” a source said.
Efforts to obtain official confirmation from the ICPC failed as calls to the spokesman, John Odey, were not answered.
FG seals Plateau mine after gas leak kills 37
The Federal Government has ordered the immediate closure of a mining site in Plateau State after about 37 villagers reportedly died from inhaling toxic gases during artisanal mining activities.
According to PUNCH Metro, a post by security analyst Zagazola Makama on X on Wednesday that 25 other persons were hospitalised after exposure to suspected carbon monoxide at the mining site in Zurak, located in Wase Local Government Area.
According to the report, the victims—mostly young men aged between 20 and 35—were carrying out routine underground mining operations when they inhaled toxic gases believed to have accumulated in poorly ventilated tunnels.
Following the incident, the Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Dele Alake, directed that all activities within Mining Licence 11810, operated by Solid Unit Nigeria Limited, be suspended after the tragedy in the Zurak community of Wase LGA.
FCT poll: 3,345 BVAS deployed, movement restricted
The Independent National Electoral Commission has said the Bimodal Voter Accreditation Systems would be deployed in all polling units for the Federal Capital Territory area councils election, while results would be uploaded to the Result Viewing portal to enhance transparency.
This was disclosed by the Chairman of the electoral commission, Prof Joash Amupitan (SAN), at a high-level stakeholders’ forum on Wednesday.
At the stakeholders’ forum, Amupitan outlined the commission’s preparations for the polls and reaffirmed its commitment to a peaceful, transparent and credible process.
He specifically noted that operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and the Independent Corrupt Practices and other Related Offences Commission would be on the ground to deter vote trading and other electoral offences.
“Any individual found buying or selling votes will be apprehended and dealt with in accordance with the law,” Amupitan said.
Army to screen children of fallen soldiers for education sponsorship
The Nigerian Army has announced a nationwide verification and screening exercise for children of fallen personnel as part of its educational sponsorship programme for the 2025/2026 academic session.
According to a notice posted on the official X handle of the Nigerian Army on Thursday, the exercise will be conducted across the six geopolitical zones between February and March 2026.
“The sponsorship is one of the welfare schemes in the Nigerian Army aimed at guaranteeing Primary, Secondary and Tertiary education for the children of personnel who died in active service,” the notice read.
The notice said the South-South zone exercise will hold from February 23 to 26, 2026, at the Headquarters, 6 Division, Port Harcourt, Rivers State.
For the South-East, verification will take place from February 28 to March 3, 2026, at the Headquarters, 82 Division, Enugu, Enugu State, while the South-West exercise is slated for March 5 to 8, 2026, at the Headquarters, 82 Division, Ibadan, Oyo State.
Lagos seals public toilet over sewage discharge, warns against pollution
The Lagos State Wastewater Management Office has sealed a public toilet on Savage Street, Ebute Metta, for allegedly discharging raw sewage into a public drain.
Commissioner for the Environment and Water Resources, Tokunbo Wahab, disclosed this in a post shared on X on Thursday, stating that the facility was sealed on Wednesday.
According to him, the action followed “the deliberate pumping of raw sewage into the public drain resulting into offensive odour and sewage flow within the community.”
He said the development constituted a public nuisance, environmental pollution, and posed significant risks to human health.
Wahab urged residents to adopt proper wastewater management and hygiene practices to support public health and promote environmental sustainability.
“Any act of environmental nuisance or pollution will attract appropriate sanctions and possible prosecution,” he warned.
N432bn probe: El-Rufai moves from EFCC to ICPC custody
The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has confirmed that Nasir El-Rufai, former Governor of Kaduna State, is currently in its custody over an ongoing investigation.
The confirmation was contained in a statement issued just before midnight on Wednesday.
The statement was signed by J. Okor Odey, Head of Media and Public Communications and Spokesperson of the Commission.
“The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) writes to state that Malam Nasiru El-Rufai the former Governor of Kaduna state is in our custody.
Malam Nasiru El-Rufai is in the custody of the Commission in connection with investigations,” Odey said.
The ICPC did not provide further details about the nature of the investigation or how long the former governor may remain in custody.
Dollar to Naira exchange rate today, February 19, 2026
The Nigerian foreign exchange landscape has opened with fresh data showing a marginal depreciation of the Naira against the United States Dollar in the early hours of Thursday, February 19, 2026.
Market participants are closely watching the convergence between official and unofficial rates as liquidity remains a primary concern for importers and manufacturers.
In the Nigerian Autonomous Foreign Exchange Market (NAFEM), the local currency opened at 1,346.40 per Dollar This represents a slight decline from the previous day’s closing average.
Trading data indicates that the market saw an initial push from 1,340.00 at the start of the day before settling into its current range.
The intraday movement suggests a heightened demand for the greenback, though high-level supply from institutional investors continues to provide a buffer against extreme volatility.
Financial experts note that the Central Bank’s current policy framework appears focused on maintaining this 1,340–1,350 corridor to ensure predictability for international trade.
E-transmission of poll results can’t replace manual — Tinubu
President Bola Tinubu has signed into law the Electoral Act Amendment) 2026, saying in Nigeria, electronic transmission of election results is merely supportive and not a replacement for manual transmission.
This came on a day former Cross River State Resident Electoral Commissioner, REC, Mr. Mike Igini, blamed the Judiciary for recurring challenges in the electoral system.
He also faulted the National Assembly’s decision to retain manual collation as a backup to electronic transmission of election results in the amended Electoral Act.
Signing of the amended Act came days after the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, released the time-table for the 2027 general elections.
Zamfara’s security reinforcement wins Defence Minister’s commendation
Minister of Defence, General Christopher Musa, retd., has commended Governor Dauda Lawal of Zamfara State for procuring armoured personnel carriers, surveillance drones, and operational equipment for troops in Zamfara State.
The governor distributed armoured vehicles and other operational equipment to troops at a ceremony held at the Government House, Gusau, Wednesday.
The governor’s spokesperson, Sulaiman Idris, in a statement, said the 25 Armoured Personnel Carriers being procured and commissioned will enhance troop protection during deployments into high-risk areas across Zamfara.
He stated that other equipment purchased includes an 80-meter endurance surveillance drone capable of covering 50 kilometres and operating continuously for eight hours.





