The recap of top 10 key stories you might have missed this Wednesday evening, 14th January, 2026
Kwankwaso sets conditions for joining APC
Kano State’s former Governor and National Leader of the New Nigeria Peoples Party, Senator Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, has said any consideration to join the All Progressives Congress must come with clear assurances on the future of the Kano State government and the welfare of party supporters.
Kwankwaso stated this on Wednesday at his Miller Road residence in Kano during a meeting with leaders and supporters from Rano and Dawakin Tofa Local Government Areas, alongside other Kwankwasiyya groups who reaffirmed their commitment to the party.
“I didn’t say I won’t join APC, but we must first be clearly assured of the future of the Kano State government before we join the APC.
What will be the fate of our lawmakers and other supporters before we agree to defect?” Kwankwaso said.
The former governor recalled past experiences when members of his faction contributed to forming governments only to be later sidelined.
Two more Rivers lawmakers urge colleagues to halt Fubara’s impeachment
Two additional members of the Rivers State House of Assembly have urged their colleagues to withdraw the impeachment proceedings against Governor Siminalayi Fubara and his deputy, Prof. Ngozi Odu, following the January 8, move to impeach the governor.
The impeachment notice accused Fubara of gross misconduct, citing allegations including the demolition of the Assembly complex, extra-budgetary spending, and defiance of a Supreme Court ruling on legislative autonomy.
As reported by TVC News, the lawmakers, Barile Nwakoh, who represents Khana Constituency I, and Emilia Amadi of Obio/Akpor Constituency II, made the appeal on Wednesday, barely 24 hours after two other legislators publicly adopted a similar position.
Although they maintained that the governor and his deputy breached constitutional provisions,
“the lawmakers said their decision to seek a withdrawal of the impeachment move followed interventions by well-meaning leaders in the state.”
TUC rejects health ministry’s ‘no work, no pay’ policy
The Trade Union Congress of Nigeria has rejected a circular issued by the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare on the implementation of a “No Work, No Pay” policy and the stoppage of salaries of members of the Joint Health Sector Unions through the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System, effective January 2026.
The circular, signed by the Director of Hospital Services at the ministry, Dr Abisola Adegoke, directed the enforcement of the policy and the suspension of salaries of affected workers.
The action followed the continuation of the JOHESU strike, which commenced on 15 November 2025.
In a statement released on Wednesday, jointly signed by its President, Festus Osifo, and Secretary General, N.A. Toro, the congress described the directive as unacceptable and said it undermined ongoing negotiations between the government and health sector unions.
NCoS foils drug smuggling attempt in Ondo prison
The Ondo State Command of the Nigerian Correctional Service has foiled an attempt to smuggle illicit drugs into the Medium Security Custodial Centre, Akure, after officers discovered about four grams of Indian hemp hidden inside fresh tomatoes during a routine gate search.
In a statement released on Wednesday, signed by Chief Superintendent of Corrections Command Public Relations Officer, Oyewole Akinwumi, the Command said the substance had been “carefully wrapped in water-tight nylon with the intention of delivering it to an inmate in custody.”
SEC seeks police help to tackle ponzi schemes, crypto scams
The Securities and Exchange Commission has sought the support of the Nigeria Police Force to intensify the clampdown on cryptocurrency fraudsters, Ponzi scheme operators and other investment scammers operating outside the regulated capital market.
The Director-General of SEC, Emomotimi Agama, made the call during a courtesy visit to the Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, at the Force Headquarters on Wednesday in Abuja, stressing the need for stronger collaboration to protect investors and safeguard the nation’s financial system.
The SEC boss said the commission, as the apex capital market regulator, has the mandate to protect investors, ensure fair and transparent markets, and promote economic growth, but noted that many fraudsters operate beyond its regulatory reach.
Police arrest masquerade over violent attacks in Anambra
The Anambra State Police Command has arrested a masquerade alleged to have carried out unprovoked violent attacks on residents, leading to a breach of public peace in Awgbu, Orumba North Local Government Area of the state.
In a viral video circulating online, the masquerade was seen chasing and attacking passers-by, disrupting a public function and causing tension in the community.
The incident reportedly occurred over the weekend during the last Ofala Festival of the late traditional ruler of Awgbu community, Igwe M. C. Okechukwu (Ezedioramma II, Ezekanunu III).
The video clips showed the masquerade going on the rampage, forcefully pushing riders off motorcycles, chasing people at sight and destroying equipment, while being cheered by followers.
Fire guts 17 tricycles, two petrol tankers in Kano
No fewer than seventeen tricycles and two petrol tankers were destroyed following two separate fire outbreaks at filling stations in Kano State on Tuesday.
The Public Relations Officer, Kano State Fire Service, Saminu Abdullahi, confirmed the incident in a statement on Wednesday.
Abdullahi said the first incident happened at AA Ayagi filling station, Kanye village, along Gwarzo road in Kabo LGA of the state, around 8:45 pm.
He stated, “Our control room received a distress call at about 20:45 hours from one of our staff, Muhammad Wada Abdulsalam, reporting an outbreak of fire at AA AYAGI Filling Station, Gwarzo Road
Our men from Rijiyar Zaki division mobilised to the scene of the incident and on their arrival, they found a fuel tanker containing PMS with registration number XPB 999 FA, owned by AA Ayagi Company, on fire while offloading petrol.
”I lost legs, left eye in Owo church attack — Witness
A prosecution witness on Wednesday told the Federal High Court in Abuja how the deadly June 5, 2022, attack on St Francis Xavier Catholic Church in Owo, Ondo State, left her permanently disabled, costing her both legs and her left eye.
Testifying in the terrorism trial of five men accused of orchestrating the massacre, the witness, identified only as SSD, a nurse and resident of Owo, recounted the terror that unfolded during the Pentecost Sunday service.
Led in evidence by prosecuting counsel, Ayodeji Adedipe, SAN, SSD told Justice Emeka Nwite that she initially mistook the first shots outside the church for celebratory firecrackers until it became clear “something was happening outside.”
“I ran to the altar to lie down.
Then the gunshots continued sporadically.
I couldn’t raise my head again until I heard a loud sound, which I think is a dynamite …
I touched my eyes, everywhere was bloody …
I touched my legs, I couldn’t feel anything, only the rags and the dangling part of my shattered leg,” she said.
Delay in renegotiation risks peace breakdown, SSANU, NASU warn FG
THE Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities, SSANU and the Non-Acadenic Staff Union of Educational and Associated Institutions, NASU, have urged the federal government to expedite action on pending renegotiation with them.
The non- teaching staff unions congratulated the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, on the signing of agreement with the Federal Government on the welfare of the Union among others.
Operating under the umbrella of Joint Action Committee, JAC, the unions in a statement signed by Prince Peters Adeyemi, NASU General Secretary and Comrade Mohammed Ibrahim,, SSANU President and Chairman of JAC, said any further delay after the signing of the agreement with ASUU would be tantamount to a clear invitation to chaos, and the distortion of industrial peace in ivory towers.
Tinubu bids farewell to veteran journalist, Yakubu Mohammed
President Bola Tinubu has paid glowing tribute to Yakubu Mohammed, a veteran journalist and co-founder of Newswatch Magazine, who died on Monday night.
In a condolence message, the President expressed sympathy to Mohammed’s family, the government and people of Kogi State, and the Nigerian media community, describing the late journalist as a courageous professional whose life was devoted to truth, public service, and nation-building
Mohammed co-founded Newswatch in 1984 alongside the late Dele Giwa, Dan Agbese, and Ray Ekpu, helping to define an era of fearless investigative journalism at a time of military rule in Nigeria.
President Tinubu, in a statement by his spokesman, Bayo Onanuga, noted that Mohammed’s journalism career, which spanned more than five decades, was marked by uncommon bravery and professional integrity, with the journalist often placing his life on the line to speak truth to power.





