Compilations of top 10 key latest updates that you might have missed this Friday evening, 2nd January, 2025
Police arraign driver in Anthony Joshua crash
The Ogun State Police Command has arraigned Adeniyi Mobolaji Kayode, the driver of the Lexus SUV involved in the accident that killed two members of boxing star Anthony Joshua’s entourage, before a Sagamu Magistrate Court.
In a statement released by the State Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Oluseyi B. Babaseyi, on Friday, the police said Kayode, 46, was charged on Thursday, January 2, 2026, while the case was adjourned to January 20 for further proceedings.
“The Ogun State Police Command wishes to inform the general public that the driver of the Lexus SUV involved in the Anthony Joshua accident case, Adeniyi Mobolaji Kayode (male), aged 46, was charged at the Sagamu Magistrate Court today, 2nd January, 2026, and the case has been adjourned to 20th January, 2026,” the statement read.
The arraignment followed investigations into the fatal crash that occurred on December 29, 2025, along the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, near Sagamu.Sanwo-Olu orders demolition of fire-ravaged GNI building
The Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has directed a controlled demolition of the Great Nigeria Insurance (GNI) House on Martins Street, Lagos Island, in the aftermath of a devastating Christmas Eve fire that ravaged the iconic 22-25 store.
According to a post on his X account on Friday, the governor confirmed that eight people lost their lives in the fire, with five victims identified and three still unidentified.
Thirteen people have been rescued so far.
Speaking at the site, Sanwo-Olu extended his condolences to families affected by the tragedy and urged everyone to comply with safety directives.
“No business or unauthorized activity should be taking place there.
The area remains unsafe, and only first responders are permitted on the site.
“Emergency teams continue to work carefully through the rubble, particularly at the rear of the building, to ensure no one remains trapped,” he added.
Yilwatda welcomes Plateau gov to APC
Plateau State Governor, Caleb Mutfwang, has officially defected to the All Progressives Congress.
The governor’s defection was announced on Friday by the National Chairman of the APC, Nentawe Yilwatda, in a post on social media.
Yilwatda welcomed Mutfwang to the ruling party, describing his move as a boost to the APC’s growing political strength.
Details of the governor’s defection and the circumstances surrounding his decision were not immediately disclosed.
“On behalf of the National Working Committee and the entire family of the All Progressives Congress, I warmly welcome His Excellency, Governor Caleb Mutfwang, into our great party, the APC.
“Your decision to join the progressive family is a bold and patriotic step, driven by a higher calling to serve the people of Plateau State and Nigeria.
“Today’s registration is a statement of hope and a commitment to a shared vision of inclusive development, peace, and prosperity for Plateau State.
Banks’ bad loans spike after CBN withdraws forbearance
Nigeria’s banking sector recorded a rise in bad loans in 2025 after the Central Bank of Nigeria withdrew the regulatory forbearance granted to lenders during the COVID-19 pandemic, according to the apex bank’s latest macroeconomic outlook report.
The report showed that the banking industry’s Non-Performing Loans ratio climbed to an estimated seven per cent, exceeding the prudential benchmark of five per cent.
The CBN said the increase reflected the impact of ending the temporary reliefs earlier granted to banks to cushion the effect of the pandemic on borrowers.
“The Non-performing Loans ratio stood at an estimated 7.00 per cent relative to the prudential limit of 5.00 per cent.
The level of NPLs reflected the withdrawal of the regulatory forbearance granted to banks during the COVID-19 pandemic,” the report read.
Regulatory forbearance had allowed banks to restructure loans affected by the pandemic without immediately classifying them as non-performing.
With the withdrawal of the measure, a number of previously restructured facilities have now crystallised as bad loans, pushing the industry ratio above the regulatory ceiling
Fidelity Bank names new board chairman as Chike-Obi exits
Fidelity Bank Plc has announced the completion of the tenure of its Board Chairman, Mr Mustafa Chike-Obi, and the appointment of a new chairman, Mrs Amaka Onwughalu.
This was contained in a notice signed by Company Secretary, Ezinwa Unuigboje, and sent to the Nigerian Exchange Limited on Friday.
According to the notice, Chike-Obi, a Non-Executive Director, stepped down on December 31, 2025, after leading the bank through significant growth across key financial metrics.
The bank praised his contributions to strategic achievements and long-term development during his tenure.
“Under his chairmanship, the Bank recorded significant growth across key financial indices, with Mr Chike-Obi leading the Board to ensure the successful execution of the Bank’s strategy and achievement of key milestones in line with the long-term vision of the Bank.
I’ve no other husband but George Akume – SGF’s wife reaffirms marriage at New Year Mass
Wife of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) and lawmaker representing Gboko/Tarka Federal Constituency, Mrs. Regina Akume, has publicly reaffirmed her love and loyalty to her husband, Senator George Akume, declaring that she remains married to him despite public commentary.
Mrs. Akume made the statement in a viral video during a New Year Mass, where she addressed congregants in an emotional but firm tone, stressing that her family remains united and resolute.
“I want to tell the world that I still love Mr. George (Akume).
He is my husband,” she said, pointing to members of her family seated in the congregation
.“That is his son sitting there, and that is also his daughter,” she added, mentioning their names.
Dismissing public speculation, the federal lawmaker stated unequivocally,
“That is my man and that is my husband.
I have no other husband but him. I do not care what the world says,” drawing applause from worshippers.
Bombed Police Station: Ondo Obas decry attack, say targeted to disrupt peace
Traditional rulers in Ondo state have described the attack and bombing of the lpele divisional police station, in Owo council area of the state by suspected terrorists as sad and condemnable.
The Chairman of the Ondo state council of traditional rulers and Olowo of Owo Kingdom, Oba Ajibade Ogunoye, in a statement issued by his Special Assistant, Media, Sam Adewale, expressed deep concern and sympathy with the people of Ipele following the unfortunate attack on a Police Station in the town on New Year’s Eve.
Recall that about 30 suspected bandits riding on motorcycles attacked and bombed the Divisional Police Station at Ipele, in Owo Local Government Area of the state.
Only the police station was damaged. All officers survived the attack by the bandits.
Prosperity will not come by taxing poverty, says Obi
Former Anambra State Governor Peter Obi has warned that Nigeria risks deepening hardship and undermining national cohesion by pursuing a tax regime that places greater burdens on an already impoverished population.
He said genuine prosperity cannot be achieved through policies that make citizens poorer, stressing that economic growth must be built on trust, honesty, and productivity.
Obi made the remarks in a statement posted on X (formerly Twitter), where he addressed issues of taxation, leadership responsibility, and the weakening social contract between government and citizens.
The statement was signed by the ex-governor and reflects his views on economic reform, transparency, and people-focused governance.
Drawing from his engagements with leaders across the world, Obi said countries that achieved lasting transformation did so by uniting their people around a shared vision anchored on truth.
He argued that leadership without honesty destroys consensus and weakens the foundations of development.
Osun police warn politicians against disrupting LG workers’ resumption
The Osun State Police Command has warned politicians and other interest groups against any action capable of sabotaging the planned resumption of local government workers across the state on January 5, vowing to deal decisively with any attempt to breach peace and public order.
The Nation recalls that the leadership of the Nigerian Union of Local Government Employees (NULGE) had announced the decision to resume duties after an 11-month strike triggered by a crisis over control of local councils between the All Progressives Congress (APC) and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
In a statement issued on Friday, the Deputy Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Emmanuel Giwa-Alade, said the command had received credible intelligence indicating that some “unscrupulous politicians” were planning to disrupt the peaceful resumption of work by local government employees at various council secretariats.
Oyebanji urges support for Tinubu’s reforms, peaceful conduct ahead of June guber poll
Ekiti State Governor, Biodun Oyebanji, has urged the people of the State to support President Bola Ahmed Tinubu in his bid to rescue Nigeria from saboteurs who don’t want the country and its citizens to be free from hardship.
Oyebanji urged Ekiti people to intensify their prayers for the President and his administration to successfully implement impactful reforms that will make life better for Nigerians and rescue them from those holding the country by the jugular.
The Governor made the statement on Friday at an Inter-faith Thanksgiving Service to mark the first working day of the year 2026.
This took place at the Obafemi Awolowo Civic and Convention Centre, Ado Ekiti, where he led the people, including top government functionaries, in prayers for peace, progress, and prosperity of the state and the country at large.
He reiterated his call to politicians, political parties, and the people of the state to maintain peace before, during, and after the June 20 governorship election, promising to manage the affairs of the state well, such that electioneering activities would not affect governance and service delivery.
Governor Oyebanji emphasised his readiness as a governorship candidate and that of his party, the All Progressives Congress (APC), to play the game according to the rules, expressing confidence that his superlative performance in the last three years would earn him and his party another four-year term in office




